Safe Room Component Manufacturers
The safe room component manufacturers are companies that have specific product lines that meet the following standards and guidelines:
FEMA P-361 “Safe Rooms for Tornadoes and Hurricanes, Guidance for Community and Residential Style Rooms”
ICC/NSSA 500 Standard for the Design and Construction of Storm Shelters
All Safe room components (e.g., wall, roof, door, glazing and opening protection assemblies) should successfully pass the component specific testing requirements set forth in ICC/NSSA 500 Chapter 8, “Test Methods for Impact and Pressure Testing.”
Many of the components used for safe rooms such as doors, must be certified and labeled, to show compliance. The testing re-quirements also specify residential or community uses and differentiate between hurricane or tornado events.
The NSSA Component Members are a valued part of our professional membership and can provide technical support for appropriate material selection when manufacturing or constructing a safe room. The Component Members provide educational workshops as well as website based presentations for design professionals on the standards and guidelines.
Component Member Listings
When Safety is as
Important as Security!
Complete Door Assemblies
Schlage, Von Duprin and Steelcraft
All tornado solutions meet FEMA 320/361 guidelines and are tested to the most stringent standards for the most powerful EF5 tornadoes, providing protection from wind speeds up to 250 mph and 15 lb projectile impacts at 100 mph. Because of the extreme requirements, all tornado solutions are tested as complete assemblies (i.e., lock and exit device along with a Steelcraft- Paladin door).
- MultiPoint Locks: MultiPoint Locks are three-point locking systems that secure the door at 3 points – top, bottom, and traditional latch location on the side. Operating just like traditional locks, MultiPoint Locks are ideally suited for classrooms, storerooms, community rooms, or dedicated storm shelters. MultiPoint Locks can also be used as “storm shutters” to secure window openings from the inside, pro-tecting occupants from glass and flying debris.
- Windstorm Exit Devices: Windstorm Exit Devices are operationally and aesthetically identical to a standard exit device, but are specially designed to the same wind and impact standards as the Mul-tiPoint Lock and can withstand the most powerful tornadoes.
- Steelcraft Doors: Tornado Resistant Applications Paladin™ PW-Series doors are designed, tested and certified per the tornado shelter construction guidelines developed by the Federal Emergency Manage-ment Agency. These guidelines include test requirements that simulate a 250 mile-per-hour ground speed tornado, including the impact force of building materials propelled at 100 miles-per hour.
Complete Door Assemblies
CECO DOOR – StormPro™
Tornado Resistant Door and Frame Systems — Ceco developed StormPro tornado resistant products to resist missile penetration for use in buildings designed as shelters to protect occupants from injury now available up to 8′-0″ x 8′-0″ pairs.
Community Shelters – Storm Shelters — Disaster and Tornado Shelters
School Shelters — School “Safe” Rooms — Residential “Safe” Rooms
Ceco’s StormPro program of tornado resistant products now includes shutter systems. The StormPro Shutter Systems are 4-sided SP frame units with SP doors and hardware that are installed inside the room on top of conventional exterior windows (or can be ordered with glazing to function as windows them selves). When faced with a threat from severe weather, the doors are closed (self-latching), creating security to the level of an approved storm shelter.
Doors and frames that have been tested and approved for use in accordance with F.E.M.A. Guidelines are not required to bear a label indicating their approval. Ceco Door Products affixes a label to certify that the Ceco door you are using has been tested and approved.
CURRIES® is pleased to provide Storm Pro 361, which has been successfully tested in accordance with ICC 500. This door and frame assembly met with the performance criteria as set forth by the ICC 500 test.
All hardware is by hardware supplier. Each door opening is prepared to receive 1-1/2 pair of 4-1/2 heavy weight hinges. Preparation for approved locks by SARGENT or CORBIN RUSSWIN for Storm Pro 361 products are included when ordered. Include Bullet and Blast Protection Products
Yale is an industry leader in developing products that withstand vigorous hurricane and tornado codes and standards. We have a broad selection of products designed to meet the needs in the most vulnerable locations in the country. Products are tested to meet these codes and standards: FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency), NSSA (National Storm Shelter Association), IBC (International Building Code), FBC (Florida Building Code), including the Florida HVHZ (High Velocity Hurricane Zone), and ANSI A250.13. What is a wind-storm? Door and hardware product testing methods define a windstorm event as either a hurricane or tornado.
Door Locking Hardware
Wind and Impact Resistant Products
InsulgardTM Security manufactures and designs a range of wind and impact resistant architectural security products and systems designed and tested to meet Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) 361-2008, International Code Council (ICC) 500-2008, and Miami-Dade County standards.
Our impact and wind resistant materials include:
- Impact proof glass doors — Wind and impact framing systems
- Wind and impact resistant — Glass and glazing materials
Bullet Resistant Glass & Bullet Resistant Products
InsulgardTM Security Products has developed a comprehensive state-of-the-art bullet resistant product line to help protect against ballistic assault. Bullet resistant materials offer physical protection to your work-force and your assets, in addition to being an effective deterrent for thieves. Our team can design a custom solution that meets the needs of your business, using our high-quality bullet resistant glass and glazing technologies to meet your exact requirements.
Blast Resistant Glass and Materials
InsulgardTM Security Products has developed a comprehensive state-of-the-art product line for applications seeking protection from blast/bomb events in conjunction with ballistic assault. Our systems are custom engineered to achieve a variety of security levels with architectural appeal. Our architectural security products include glazing material, framing and door systems.
Structural Brick commonly called “cinder-block” is an integral part of many safe room designs. The walls sur-rounding a safe room provide a large part of the main wind-force resisting system (MWFRS).
Many of the residential safe room designs given in FEMA P-320 “Building a Safe Room for Your Home or Small Business” use structural bricks in their design.
The architectural beauty of brick, in its many shapes, sizes and colors, can be the crowning touch to both commercial and community safe rooms.
JEO Consulting Group, Inc.
11717 Burt Street, Suite 210
Omaha, NE 68154
Safe Room Consulting
Hazard Mitigation and Emergency Planning
- Develop plans that are implementable and feasible
- Advanced approach to project identification and development
- Staff work at forefront of new national policies and initiatives
- Commitment to stakeholder and public engagement
- Use of innovative platforms for engagement
Planning • Architecture • Engineering • Surveying
•Lincoln (402)435-3080 • Omaha (402)934-3680 • Wahoo (402)443-4661 • Grand Island (308)381-7428
•Hastings (402)462-5657 • Nebraska City • (402)873-6766 • Norfolk (402)371-6416
•South Sioux City 402.494.7019
•Ankeny (515)964-5310 • Carroll (712)792-9711
If only you’d had more time…
If only you’d heard the tornado warning…
If only you’d had a Midland weather radio
E+Ready Emergency Crank Weather Alert Radio
AM/FM Weather Alert Radio – Desktop Weather Alert Radio
Door Locking Hardware
Windstorm / Tornado Models
Multi-Point Windstorm/Tornado Models, Exit Devices
Multiple-Bolt Lock & Lever For Windstorm Protection On High Traffic Doors
Multiple-Bolt Lock & Exit Device For Windstorm Protection On High Traffic Doors
Automatic Multiple-Bolt Lock For Windstorm Protection
Multi-Point Deadbolt Lock
Securitech is the first door hardware manufacturer to have products surpass both FEMA 320 and FEMA 361 guidelines to protect the public from extreme wind load and flying debris conditions that result from tornadoes.
Walls – Protective Coating
Combination of High-Strength and Sustainable Energy
Dissipation in Carbon Fiber Systems (CHMC)
- Natural hazards cause the deaths of thousands and cost billions of dollars in property damage.
- Two areas of application that have potential to save lives and property are multi-hazard structural damage mitigation, specifically in seismic retrofitting and tornado protection.
- Carbon site materials, specifically carbon fiber composites, have recently received a great deal of attention for their properties of high strength and being light weight.
- Infrastructure can be strengthened to withstand seismic and tornado activity that causes struc-tural failure.
- CHMC is a composite system to strengthen structures, provide tremendous impact resistance and fracture toughness, and dissipate energy and provide sufficient stiffness.
TORNADO PROTECTION – NOW BULLET PROOF!
Innovative Anchor Solutions for Residential and Pre-Manufactured Commercial and Community Safe Room Anchoring to Foundations
One of the core values at Simpson Strong-Tie is to help you succeed by providing innovative products, full-service engineering and field support, product testing and training, and on-time product delivery. Since entering the post-installed construction materials market in 1994, we have quickly become a trusted manufacturer of innovative anchor systems solutions for infrastructure, commercial, industrial, and residential projects. We offer a full array of mechanical and adhesive anchors and tools for concrete and masonry applications. Our anchor systems, like all of our others, have passed the high performance and quality standards that are expected of Simpson Strong-Tie – and include the trusted level of service you’ve come to rely on.
Mechanical Anchors – Titen HD® Heavy-Duty Screw Anchor – Strong-Bolt® 2 Wedge Anchor
Adhesive Anchors – AT-XP® High-Strength Acryllic Adhesive – SET-XP® High-Strength Epoxy Adhesive
The 2016 Anchoring and Fastening Systems for Concrete and Masonry catalog (C-A-2016) features 340 pages of Simpson Strong-Tie anchor systems products for use in concrete and masonry. Reconfigured to make it easier to locate products, our latest catalog offers updated load and data tables as well as an enhanced Appendix section featuring supplemental information and design calculations. Quickly find code-listed products with the new Anchor Product Selection Guide and identify new products to the Anchor Systems line up. In addition, the catalog offers sections on carbide drill bits and restoration products.
Expires 12/31/17. Replaces C-SAS-2012